Week 9 - Sound Poetry

Okay, Let's Warm Up

For four years I spent my days in the theatre and the choir room
And there are things that we did every day
Things that sometimes took up a full hour of my time
And these are things that one begins to resent after a while


For me, particularly, I hated those circle games that relied on rhythm
The games where someone started snapping and I had to
E-n-u-n-c-i-a-t-e
And I had to say,
In unison with 40 other people,
“If I had been so lucky as to have a steady brother who could talk to me as we are”-
I won’t do it all, it’s way too long.
I hated those focus games like pass the clap where I had to look someone in the eyes and *pause* *clap*
And don’t get me started on P T K F SH, the only vocal warm up where you needed a rain poncho for.


The worst ones were the tongue twisters
The red leather yellow leather blue leather green leather
The unique New Yorks
The mommy made me mash my m&m’s


And then there was the solfege practice
Yanno, like do re mi fa so?
Where for some reason we were all supposed to know that when Mr. Koll did this motion we had to sing -this note-
And then when he did this we had to sing --this note--


They didn’t help my focus
They didn’t help my “group think”
And they especially didn’t help my singing
Although, I was beyond help from the moment that I started
Maybe that’s why I hated them so much


But at least now I go to art school
And I will never have to do -this- or --this-- again
Or prove to anyone how swiftly and confidently I can Project
No, all that I need to do now is


Talk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 - Found Poem

Week 6 - Imagist Poetry

Week 2 - Writing Process